Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temperature rise as K? & ANSI/UL 875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakelian

Industrial
May 24, 2009
TR
Dear users, I have two questions:

1. Why it says ANSI/UL 875 - Electric Dry Bath Heaters for this standard? I mean, ANSI and UL at the same time? WHat does ANSI have to do with that?

2. In several places of the heating sections of standards, there are several tables showing temperature rise as K. For example: "During normal operation, the temperature rise of the applience's walls shall not exceed 140 K". What does 140 K mean??

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1 - Based on many a some past conversations I have had, I would say that UL is a co-operative standard with the ANSI. Maybe someone else will have more input here.

2 - K is degrees Kelvin, which basically amounts to deg C with an offset, where 0K is absolute zero, at least as it it asymptotically defined.

Hi again, Sunchallenger!

ANSI is the American National Standards Institute. It adopts standards written by other organizations, such as UL, ISA, ASHRAE, ASME, etc... When adopted by ANSI, the standard is then referred to by the joint name.

ANSI/UL 875 is the same as UL 875.

Noway2 gave a good description of degrees K.

How's your project coming?

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Dear Noway2 and DRWeig,

Thanks for the replies. Appriciate them. I asked the same questions in another forum of Engtips and caused a mess! If you want to read it, here it is:

But please do not reply, I am glad it finished, since it was becoming a little bit rude!

DRWeig, Thanks for asking! I read approx 800 pages of standards, and am working 12 hrs/day, and I have an American friend from engtips now, who will make the controls...

Other than that, nothing else.. The work goes on...

Cheers,

Sunchallenger

Sunchallenger,

That other thread was a hoot! Thanks for posting the link. It's fun to hear the international debate over scientific units...

I think I know better what position you're in now, if you remember me from previous threads about circuit breaker / fuse sizing for your product.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back