Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temporary cable supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyJunior

Electrical
Aug 16, 2005
US
We are running temporary power and control cables to a piece of equipment. It has been proposed to run the cables on the ground for a couple weeks while permanent structural supports are constructed to route the raceway overhead. I looked i nthe code and wasn't able to find anything prohibiting the cables being installed on the ground. I have a safety guy who disagrees and says all temporary cable was be supported off the ground.

This may come down to the AHJ, but wanted to get some feedback from you guys who have possibly run exposed cable (suitable for wet environment) directly on the ground for a temporary basis and had approval from an inspector.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to NESC [National Electric Safety Code] the cable has to keep a clearance against the ground of [at least] 8 ft.
But, depending upon the cable voltage and the below traffic level, the height could be more. So, the cable has to be supported at a height as per NESC.

Where is it...what codes apply?
What is the voltage?
Application?
Is the cable protected and isolated, sounds like not?
Protected location accessible to....?
Can you wait and do the overhead properly?
More info?

Alan

Its a 480V power feed and some 120V control. The run is like 10-15 feet and not accessible to any vehicular traffic. I imagine it would be protected with some metal covering for foot traffic. This is in California, so the 2008 NEC applies, and I believe the 2007 NESC. This HAS to happen IMMEDIATELY, hence the urgency.

Thanks 7anoter4 for your input. I hope there is a way around this.

"I imagine it would be protected with some metal covering for foot traffic."

So is it over asphalt or concrete or can you quickly bury some conduit for the feed? Expect that is the case since you intend to permanently install it overhaed. In all cases safety should override any need for a speedy install.

Those on site and familiar with the project needs, as well as, the safety implications of the temporary installation will need to make the decision.

Properly protected/guarded and marked for perestrian traffic may be acceptable for the short term in your case.

Difficult to say from here.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back