Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temporary Sheet Piling Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyDuster

Structural
Jan 23, 2008
US
Hey Everybody,

A little background about the project: I'm currently working on temporary sheet piling for staging construction of a new culvert. The depth of excavation is 28' (1.5H:1V slope) so our plan was to use one or two rows of a whaler type system. Recently, we've received soil boring reports for the area. Needless to say, this area has some extremely poor soil. It's basically all fat clay (Cohesion = 370 psf). From just doing a quick check from the 1985 Steel Sheet Piling Design Manual (p. 40) on stability, I've come to the conclusion that this tall of a wall will fail miserably.

Actually, from what I've calculated I can only handle about 10.5' of the excavation before failure will begin.

Since this is a temporary case, does anyone have any ideas about how to resolve this? Any ideas that I can test out would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using the Sheet Piling Wall 911 program to confirm what I'm finding out in my own calculations.

Thanks,

Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With 2 level anchors or struts, you will need to use the Peck trapezoidal earth pressures instead of a triangular pressure distribution. The critical check will be when you excavate to install the 2nd support. Try Soil Structure Sheet pile program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back