Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

temporary Strainer gap post flush

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipe15

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2005
US
good afternoon, I am wondering if there is a standard practice for flanged, cone type, temporary strainers for when they are removed post flush. Is the strainer replaced with a spacer and the two gaskets or perhaps is there a thicker gasket which would fill the resulting gap?
thanks
Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A thicker gasket could be a big mistake. A thicker gasket may not have the shear strength required for your line pressure. If the piping is flexible then you maybe able to pull the gap with a normal gasket, otherwise a spacer and two gaskets is the way to go. Make sure you have the correct gasket faces on your spacer.

Unless the pipe is particularly rigid, I'm having difficult working out why you need to do this?

Granted if the strainer is actually an RTJ solid disc, then use a spacer, but many are just 2mmthick.

Given you have to remove the pipework to remove these sorts of filters, it's all fairly loose so is there a reason you can't find an extra 5mm??

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

thanks little inch. we have to follow a pipe fab spec that precludes springing the pipe into place, regardless of the magnitude.

How much distance are talking about?

"flanged" is a bit vague. May are just thin metal, some are proper spacers. Which is yours?

Your SOP though seems to be fixed - "we have to follow a pipe fab spec that precludes springing the pipe into place, regardless of the magnitude"

I don't think this is really "springing" but if it is then introduce a ring and use two gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back