Structural
Oct 1, 2024
US
IMG_7098_mjbwzz.jpg
IMG_7101_lwmupr.jpg
IMG_7096_wojkg5.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This tennis court has three courts on its foundation.
There was a fall due to player falling because foot got stuck in crack.
Months later, another fall with a breakage of wrist. It was on the same foundation but no visible signs of cracks or anything to blame fall on. Could the foundation have been to blame for the second fall?

Months later, another fall with a breakage of wrist. It was on the same foundation but no visible signs of cracks or anything to blame fall on. Could the foundation have been to blame for the second fall?

Seems possible; the court surface does not look flat; there seems to be a slope toward the crack.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

As to a legal opinion - you can probably buy an "expert" to testify to anything.

The crunched up part isn't good and could be seen as a tripping hazard, tripping is conventionally from failure to lift a foot high enough to clear an obstacle. That obstacle is not high enough trip most people.

People use high-traction shoes on tennis courts and make significant changes in speed and direction; a change in the condition of the surface can certainly result in unexpected traction, but so can the fence.

It appears the courts are sloped to drain water off and that drainage is now partly into the crack. Digging out the damaged material and putting in a proper seal will help the life of the court.

I like that has been said above.

Between "...Digging out the damaged material and putting in a proper seal will help the life of the court." and "Could the foundation have been to blame for the second fall?", I would go with the former. Makes life easier and seems cost-effective.

Unless they are other areas with cracks, and you're strongly convinced it the foundation. And then you find yourself spending money and time on experts performing site visits, writing reports, even before getting to the actual solution and repair works.

Thanks guys for your expert opinions!
I was the one who fell. I fell the 1st time because my foot was stuck in the crack while playing. The 2nd time I fell running for a ball. I’m=ve never fallen at any other club so it makes me think the second fall must be because of structural problems in the court. So one else fell a few days later and broke her wrist. Something just doesn’t seem right!

Trip hazard is a problem and a serious one. I play pickleball and I always want to play on a safe court, so I know how it feels.

The best you can do is report to management. If management doesn't fix it, you escalate it by leaving a review/comment on Google map. I bit others will add their voices as well especially loving grandparents will bring their grandkids to train there.

There is a possibility that you, as I, are accidentally becoming older. Even Simon Biles has seen a decline from her peak and she is just 27 or so, years old.

If you mention you were playing pickleball on that court, then I would also mention that ERs across the nation have seen a large number of otherwise healthy people who have taken up pickleball. It's a scourge. Take up lawn darts. It's safer. There have been nearly no lawn dart related injuries in the US for a decade.

(whisper from offstage)

Ah, yes. Full disclosure, there have also been no sales of lawn darts in the US for 20 years.

Slight changes in level can result in falls, though; your brain and its balance processing makes use of internal and external cues to determine where a surface is supposed to be. If that surface isn't where your brain expected it to be, then you can be thrown off balance when you land, because your foot positioning is based on the presumed surface location.

This would be much more likely if you were in the middle of a large, rapid, body motion, like lunging to save a return.

Nearly one-third of pickle-ball players are 55+, but both sacropenia and loss of balance are major sources of fall injuries for older adults.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

"accidentally becoming older", that's hilarious! [lol][lol][lol]
I am in my late twenties, but I have been hanging out with older folks at the pickleball court. They say I am good, so I keep coming back .. feels good to smash balls and watch they run.

Interestingly, I went for a walk over the weekend, and I tripped over a pavement. It was about an inch up and that was the only portion with different level, but I didn't even see it. Same thing happens to me over staircases too. It is amazing how the brain works..

IRstuff
I was playing tennis, 46 yrs old. I do t want to be compared to pickleball players, 😂
Thanks for your feedback though!

I've often wished I had moved to America. I love the place. But due to the trajectory of my life, i will likely only ever go as a visitor.

Reading things like this though, reminds me of the flaws of the great nation. Reading between the lines here, OP is looking for somebody to sue.

The reality is, it looks like a crappy old tennis court. I'm sure the fees charged to rent the court reflect that. If you happen to trip on an uneven surface (adjacent to the court, not even on the playing area), well, thats on you. Sometimes the ground will not always be perfectly flat.

The design looks appropriate to me. the control joint for slab expansion is at the most appropriate place.

Back