Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tensile Stress on Masonry structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD_design

Structural
Dec 20, 2021
IN
Hello fellow engineers, Please get me a clear view on below clarification.

As per IS codal(IS 1905) provision we should not add tensile stress on Masonry which contact with water. So in flood prone areas during high wind masonry structure will affect with tensile stress on roof and nearby masonry components and usually roof sheets supporting timbers are anchored in masonry wall with L shaped rods(Refer below image). In that case any specific criteria needs to follow to prevents cracks on wall? Any general practice is there to avoid such kind of damage in wall? Or do we need to take the anchor rod from linton beam (refer snap 2)?
Snap 1
Snap1_pru3yy.jpg

Snap 2
Snap2_hkq1nf.jpg

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally, unreinforced masonry should be designed neglecting tensile forces even though it might be able to handle some small tensile forces. You are making the top of the wall a reinforced masonry wall and then its up to the steel to handle the uplift forces. As we have seen recently with tornadoes here in the US, continuity of the load path from roof to foundation are critical. Is the linton (lintel or bond beam) enough to carry the loads to the foundation?

Hello masonrygeek, it is the Linton beam shown in snap-2, as an option to provide resistance for uplift instead of anchor rod direct embedded in masonry wall. I feel with Linton beam will be provide more resistance. Your response will be appreciated.

Hello @steelnz2003 thanks for your suggestion. In this case budget is bit less. So another bond beam will cross the estimated cost. Will this rod embedded from Linton will work as bond beam. Let me know your view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back