Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TENSILE TEST ASTM A234 WPB

Status
Not open for further replies.

gluca

Petroleum
Sep 23, 2006
IT
Talking about tensile tests according to ASTM A234 WPB; if I make a butt welding fitting starting from a plate with wall tickness 25 mm, I have to normalize (heat treatment) this fitting. Very often the plates are furnished as rolled, not heat treated, but the tensile tests reported on the 3.1 certificate are performed on normalized samples of these plates.
Do I have to perform new tensile tests for my normalized fitting, or can I use the records of the test on the starting plate to declare that the fitting meet the ASTM A234 tensile requirements. The starting plate was not heat treated, but the samples have been heat treated in the same manner as my fitting.... Thanks, Gianluca

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As per ISO 10174:

"If the processor or intermediary has changed the state or dimensions of the product in any way he shall supply an additional document of compliance for these new conditions"

Under EN 10204, where definitions are tighter, my interpretation would make your organisation the 'manufacturer' responsible for issuing the inspection documents demonstrating compliance with ASTM A234. Whereupon, clause 9.4 of A234 can be invoked (if the purchaser has not specified anything to the contrary).

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Thanks Jones, I appreciate your help. I also put this question in the "QC Inspection & Testing forum". Now we wait for new replies.

See soon
Gianluca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back