Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tensile test

Status
Not open for further replies.

gluca

Petroleum
Sep 23, 2006
IT
Good morning,
I have a question which can regard both ASTM/ASME forum and Materials forum. We produce seamless carbon steel fittings according to ASTM/ASME A/SA420 WPL6, suitable for low temperature service up to -50 deg. °F.
Our starting pipe is according to ASTM/ASME A/SA333 gr. 6: our supplier delivers the pipe with a EN10204 3.1 certificates, stating that the pipe has been totally normalized, impact tested at -50 deg. °F and mechanical tested (yield strength, tensile strength and elongation %).
My question is the following: after reading ASTM/ASME A/SA420 para 9.2, it seems to me that we are not compelled to perform new tensile tests, as we normalize the fitting and all the required tests (both tensile and impact) have already been performed by our supplier on the normalized pipe.
Do you think I'm right?

Thanks to all
regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, I don't believe you are correct. My interpretation of Section 9.2 in the 2006 edition of ASME SA 420 indicates that one tension test shall be performed on each heat of material and in the same heat treatment condition as the finished fittings it represents. So, even if you are re-normalizing, you need to at least conduct one tension test to assure conformance with mechanical properties.

Please don't forget Impact Testing. Read Par 9.3.2 it refers to specimens taken from the fittings. Mauro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back