Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tension Ring for eight sided structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldepw

Civil/Environmental
Mar 31, 2002
US
Does anyone have any suggestions for detailing tension ring for supporting eight-sided roof structure. The structure is only 14' wide with an 8/12 roof pitch. I've detailed similar projects with plywood gussets at the corners. Just looking for new ideas!

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have done several differnt methods.
On larger tension rings, I have designed a stell plate to act as a horizontal plate that is bolted to the top plate, and had an angle welded at the corner to resist the thrust.

On some smaller ones, I useed continuous sSimpson straps to wrap the structure. Using this , I have specified a minimum lap splice dimension and minimum number of nails at the splice.

I have also used the top plates to transferthe thrust and reinforced the corners with small steel plates and/or plywood.

Many years ago, I did much wider building than this (not sure exactly how wide). I did it with a cable strung thru the end of each purlin. However, I was concerned about the cable cutting into the grain of the wood, so I had detailed the hole thru the purlins with a small diameter steel pipe.

The compression ring was set on some blocking off of a scafold. When the framing was complete, we tensioned the cable and the roof lifted slightly and the blocking fell out. The building receives significant snow load every year and it has been functioning for almost 35 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back