Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Corrosion - Sealant required 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesMDavis

Electrical
Jul 16, 2003
AU
I was looking for a sealing material that is non-conductive and is both impervious to diesel and salt water. The sealant is to be used on Stainless Steel, Perspex and mild steel.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your title indicated terminal. Your post was vague to what you want to protect.

For terminal protection we use Nilox dielectric grease. For the enclosures we spray with Nylac.

Thanks for the info!
Sorry about the vagueness. The terminals (24VDC about 7mm diameter) are mild steel that are mounted on a Perspex block inside a stainless steel enclosure (about 25cm in diameter. However the stainless steel enclosure over time has moisture ingress which causes seawater and diesel to reach the terminals. I was originally thinking of filling the termination chamber with packing grease, but I wasn’t sure of which greases were available that were impervious to fuel attack?

Typically the tempertature variations pull is external aie into enclosures. This air condensates salts on the surfaces of enclosures.

The primary purposes of the grease are to keep out moisture, and prevent corrosion. Prevention of corrosion keeps the metal-to-metal contact point in a connector conducting electricity. I would try a moderate amount of silicone dielectric grease for coating terminals, like Locktite or Permatex.

Overfilling with grease can cause heat build up in some cases.

Dear Jim
As a Marine Enginer of many years standing I now work for a Company called Metatec based in Portsmouth. This Company supplies many sealants to the Marine trade. The person to contact there is Alex Edge, their technical Manager who is a wiz kid on sealants. Tell him exactly what the application is for and I'm sure he will come up with a solution. His mobile is 07711186057 and Metatec's office No is 0239238 1382 The contact there is Barry White.
Regards
Chris Chapman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back