Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

terminal numbering convention for diodes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blcpro

Electrical
Aug 19, 2003
US
I'm having a disagreement with another engineer on the convention for numbering the anode and cathode of a diode. We both use ORCAD for schematic designs. I always use diode parts with pins numbered 1 for cathode and 2 for anode. His designs only name the terminal, with no numbering. We were collaborating on a design and somehow the PCB layout design shows the diodes reversed. We know the problem is that the pin numbers in the layout are reversed from my convention of 1 for cathode and 2 for anode. So we made changes to fix the problem, but now we are both wondering what the convention acutally is? I saw online a document IPC-7351 that recommends pin 1 as cathode, but this is the only document that I could find. Is this relevant? Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

B

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When creating a pcb library as long as you assign the proper pin (be it a number/name or whatever) to match the schematics icon it should never be an issue. If the schematic is right then the layout will be too..always

I use 7351 as a reference too so all my diodes have the cathode on the left as pin #1. Their guideline that "Pin 1 is always the Cathode" is pretty easy to follow. I'll typically name the pins K and A, respectively so that you can verify the numbering matches within the part definition (I use PADS).

Z

Re: mcgyvr,
"When creating a pcb library as long as you assign the proper pin (be it a number/name or whatever) to match the schematics icon it should never be an issue. If the schematic is right then the layout will be too..always"

That is true if you do assign pin numbers, but not true if schematic does not use pin numbers for these parts. The number field is blank, and the pins only have names. This causes some confusion when sent to the layout software. I think the layout software just assigns pin numbers in this case by some criteria that I am not familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back