Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Terminology question - threaded boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini8181

Mechanical
May 7, 2013
US
This is a terminology question. See attached. This is a threaded piece with a rounded upper surface which can be threaded in and out of the plate shown. The plate is the base of a larger structure. There are four of these threaded pieces, which allow the angle of the base to be slightly adjustable. What would you call the threaded piece? One of my coworkers called it a "threaded boss", which was terminology I am not familiar with. Any ideas? I know this is a pretty trivial question, but humor me :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The threaded male element I agree with those above. If you needed to weld / fix / glue on the female part of this, say onto a thinner sheet, that is what I would call a threaded boss.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

A "boss" is a protruding lumpy feature that is part of a casting (or left by machining away surrounding material in a billet").
The boss would be milled flat (optional, I guess) and then drilled and tapped.

This is an example showing typical "threaded bosses" in my opinion.
There are 8 "threaded bosses" in this picture. Each one is an inch or so directly below an assembled valve/spring

Then a threaded component (rocker stud in this case) is wound into the "thraded boss"

A threaded boss would be the levelling screw's female counterpart. i.e. the equivalent of a nut.

threaded_boss.jpg

If your boss is threaded, that’s got be an awful place to work and I’d look for a new place to work. And, if your male part is threaded as LittleInch suggests, you’re talkin bout the wrong kinda screwin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back