Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test Lab for modal analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmblur

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2008
US
Looking to do modal analysis on a hand-held structure in an effort to reduce uncomfortable vibration for the user - think baseball bat and the stinging sensation when mishit.

Ideally, we'd be able to quantify the amount of damping (and therefore "sting reduction" for the marketing folks) from anything we'd come up with - with data from initial testing to guide us as to what modes and corresponding frequencies to focus on.

This isn't something we do often, so we don't have any real contacts to speak of in this area. I haven't been able to locate a test lab to do this sort of thing outside of academia - any leads?

[Also, related - any tips on a low cost system we could use to do this in house? I figure bare minimum is impact hammer/very light triax acceleromter/DAQ of some sort/software, with the expensive part being DAQ and software. Any suggestions on "good enough" systems for DAQ/software that could keep costs down?]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're interested in possibly trying to do some of this yourself I would contact the ModalShop. They'll rent you all the equipment to let you do it yourself, I think they even will send someone to teach you the basics (for a price of course). They rent equipment for almost any acoustic/vibration situation.

They also have a long list of contacts who can perform the work you're looking for and may be able to get you in contact with a specialized person most tailored to the data your looking for.

University of Mass Lowell has an entire lab dedicated to baseball modal research. Check out thier webpage. They are either the only, or one of a very limited few who can actually certify NCAA bats

An interesting paper on Lodengraf damping references work done on aluminum bats; it was published in Sound & Vibration and posted on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back