Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test Methods for Matrix 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickE

Materials
Jan 14, 2003
US
There must be ASTM/SAE/AMS/Etc standards for the testing of the physical parameters of epoxy matrices...

Which are good ones? I dont really know what I want to know, I just figure I need to charecterize the properties of the resin+additive formulations.

Thanks

Nick
I love materials science!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Normally for any material one does standard tensile testing. If you look up a datasheet for an epoxy material, for example by checking the manufacturer's sites or checking you will see what needs to be measured. You may need other measurements specific to the application you have in mind.

Chris DeArmitt

Nick,

Get thee to ASSIST and obtain a free copy of MIL-HDBK-17 COMPOSITE MATERIALS HANDBOOK -- VOLUME 1. POLYMER MATRIX COMPOSITES -- GUIDELINES FOR CHARACTERIZATION OF STRUCTURAL MATERIALS. It has an enormous amount of information (> 500 pages).

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Do you want specific standards, or are you after a set of property measurements which will predict how a given resin will probably behave relative to other resins when in a composite? (Depends heavily on end use of the composite, if the latter; structural (including field, marine, aerospace secondary/primary, etc.), internal (FST), radome, circuit board, etc.)

RPstress- Thats what I want to know. What are the applicable and useful Test Specifications and Standards that apply to Polymer Matrix physical property measurement.

I spent a decent amount of time running an A2LA test lab for physical and chemical composition on Steels, but only studied composites in school.

Cory, thanks I've got a copy of that, I'll have to re-read that section.

Demon3- I am looking more for ASTM Ennn, or SAE Xnnnn, matweb is usefull if you only need basic general data, I dont feel that it is of much value when details are required.

Nick
I love materials science!

I don't currently have access to many standards, so I have only a very limited set of specs that don't go anywhere near covering all the vaguely useful properties. Also, most of the specs I have cover the properties of the final composite.

For instance, a resin with a higher mode I basic material toughness will probably make a laminate with a higher interlaminar toughness, but there's way to deduce one from the other.

Just in case it's useful, here is my rather feeble list of specs that have some bearing on the issue:
AITM 1-0003 Tg Determination by DMA
AITM 1-0005 Mode I Fracture Toughness Energy
AITM 1-0006 Mode II Fracture Toughness Energy
AITM 1-0019 Bonded Shear Lap Joint
ASTM D 3165-00 Strength Properties of Adhesives in Shear by Tension Loading of Single-Lap-Joint Laminated Assemblies
ASTM D 4065-01 Plastics: Dynamic Mechanical Properties: Determination and Report of Procedures
ASTM D 4762 Standard Guide Testing Polymer Matrix Composite Materials
ASTM D 5528 Mode I IL fracture toughness UD composites
ASTM D 6671 Mixed Mode I-Mode II IL fracture toughness UD composites
ASTM D 695-02a Standard Test Method for Compressive Properties of Rigid Plastics
ASTM E 229-97 Shear Strength and Shear Modulus of Structural Adhesives

ASTM D638 Covers test methods for bulk resin properties.

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

For typical properties like, tensile, compression and flexural, you should be able to find test methods readily. When I was doing me research, it was the old BS2787 Method 350D for tensile (you have to look up the update EN specs).I can't really remember the standard I used for compression, but I do remember that i have to use cylindrical samples because it was the only way to get some of the highly crosslinked epoxies to yield,if at all, the problem is difficulty in trying to cast cylindrical resin test sample without porosity. For K1c, I use compact tension and DBT method for G1c. You can get the test methods other researchers used for testing resins especially in the area of toughening of epoxy resins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back