Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Test Plate (Blind Flange) thickness - Ductile Iron - EN 12516-2/4 & ASME VIII Div.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y-Shevy

Mechanical
Aug 1, 2018
GB
Hello,

We have a requirement to test a number of large nozzle check valves (60"-300# Series B) shell and seat test (1.5xDP & 1.1xDP respectively). We need a pair of blind flanges to seal the unit for testing, we have a pair of plates (9in thick) made of Ductile Iron A395 60-40-18.

I have done a plate thickness calc based on ASME VIII Div.1 UG-34:2015 'Unstayed Flat Heads and Covers' (fig. UG-34-j). Using UCD-23 & UG-24 for allowable stress I have a thickness (much thicker than the plates we already have).

I have done a second calc based on EN 12516 parts 2 & 4. Using the equation from 12516-2, 8.2.1 and the allowable stresses for both scenarios; 'design condition' and 'test conditions' from 12516-4, table 17 for EN-GJS-400-18 I have determined what the plate thickness would be based on this standard.

I have a significant difference, the EN standard for a 'design condition' is over 25% less than the ASME calc, does this sound right? I know the EN standard is one of the least conservative standards for valve wall thicknesses.

Additionally, do any of you know why there is such a difference in the safety factors between 'design' and 'test' conditions (EN 12516-4:2014+A1:2018) Table 17? Is this based on a controlled pressure (no surges), no corrosion, test conditions, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have noticed the standard thickness for this size and class in B16.5, and it would always be my first choise to use a steel plate. However, as I mention, we already have the ductile iron plates from a previous job a from a long long time ago. To buy new plates (when it's not absolutely necessary) would be a signifcant cost.

I have since adopted the EN 12516 standard which has three advantages; firstly it's less conservative (reduced FOS), secondly, part 4 accomodates a variety of ductile iron grades and thirdly it considers 'test condtions' which has a reduced FOS.

As we only use blind flanges for testing, we may consider using this standard in the future for the larger valves.

Thanks for your reply.

In my opinion no plate thickness will corrupt the test validity, as long as there is no leakage connected (given by) the blindplates. Why a required standard thickness? Be sure to quote a thickness that will hold under all circumstances?

If you should set a thickness and give a material thickness 'off the cuff' why not use flange spesifications ?

(Just tossing around some ideas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back