Test ring flange calculation sheet for shell&tube heat exchanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrino7

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2003
ES
Hello,

I need to do a calculation of a test ring for hydrotest for a BEU tema type shell and tube heat exchanger. Mechanical design software (Compress or others) usually don’t have the exactly way to model this ring with the special considerations that implies. For example, if test ring is used for hydrotesting channel side, you need to hold the channel to tubesheet with the help of this test ring, but the test ring will not have the effect of internal pressure of shell side... (Softwares does not consider this option)

Any guideline on this issue, Excel spreadsheet, or typical calculation would be very helpful...

Thanks in advance

PGh.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Peregrino7, test rings can be designed as a lap-joint type flange, see Apx 2, Fig 2.4-1. If split, account for the split as per 2-9.

Not familiar with Compress but I'd be very disappointed with it if it wouldn't do this. Easy to put into a spreadsheet.

Regards,

Mike

I concur with the above post or the calculations. If this is a large or thick flange I would look to renting a test flange in lieu of fabricating one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back