Test separator, Allow water leak to condensate section

Status
Not open for further replies.

MATEGRITY2009

Petroleum
Oct 9, 2009
SG
Hi anyone

Refer to attached photos for internal condition of test separator, the weir plate design of condensate section is to install by bolt joint, so the leak-tightness look impossible. i leak test with full water fill and a lots of leak was observed at each bolt location. my questing is

-Is it necessary to not allow water from mixed liquid section to leak into condensate section? (for my opinion: the leak-tightness requirement is conflict with the bolting connection, if it necessary the connection shall be weld)
-if leak-free is needed, please advise me for the solution.

Thanks for any help

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=21742b7f-3588-41b6-b698-7dcd6e2cd074&file=Capture.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO tightness is not required. A test separator is used for well testing and the result is not accurate enough to warrant such tightness.

If you've got leaks, then the condensate outlet flow will be in error since it will be water wet. There may be a water cut meter on the condensate outlet, but it may have a limited operating range. I'm no expert on mechanical installation of these weir plates, but I would presume the joints at the overflow weir are all gasketed and bolted. Check the gaskets for leaks.

IMO, it seems odd if no need of the tightness on the weir plate design, which might be defeated the purpose of its design.
Can it be simply seal the gap by the soft gasket or sealant, or install the plate by welding instead of bolting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back