Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

test voltage differs from nameplate

Status
Not open for further replies.

fledge

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2003
US
I've got a motor designed for 575VAC/3ph/60Hz that I want to test, but I only have a 460VAC/3ph/60Hz supply. If the nameplate fla of the motor at 575VAC is 1.6A, should I expect to see a test fla of 1.6A(575/460) = 2A, and size my test fuses as such? Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggestion: Such test is not recommended since it would harm the motor, e.g. thermally at full load.
It is better to rent an autotransformer and test it at the motor rated voltage depicted on the motor nameplate.

What kind of test do you have in mind?

No load test could show you that the motor is in good condition. You could do this test with lower voltage but the measured current will be the no-load current (magnetizing current +no load Losses). You will see integrity of the windings and mechanical condition (vibration).

Calibration test or temperature rise will require a dynamometer and nominal voltage supply.
Most of the manufacturing standards ask for 10% below of nominal voltage (517.5V) satisfactory operation. If the mechanical power demand is full load, the current will increase from the nameplate value inversely proportional to the voltage, to the change of efficiency (EFF) and power factor (PF). Excessive low voltage overheats the windings due to the current increase.

I = HP*746/(V*EFF*PF) (for single phase motors)

I = HP*746/(1.732*Vll*EFF*PF) (for three-phase motors)

Were HP is the power demanded by the load (at shaft extension) in Horse Power.
Vll = the line to line voltage of a three-phase circuit
V = Single phase voltage for 1 phase motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back