Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

test voltage in a part

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2001
US
I am a mechanical engineer and i have to test voltage in a part. the part has a 22 guage wire enclosed in rubber. the two sides are open. i need to see if it can withstand certain voltage. can i have guidance as regards to equipment and method.
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The structure you describe sounds like it can be taken as a capacitor whose voltage withstanding properties are in question. Please send me an e-mail. Then I can send you a copy of an item I published some years ago on testing capacitors for voltage withstanding properties. It may have bearing on your needs.

Good luck.

John Dunn
ambertec@ieee.org

Hi! I would rather prefer to know to what equipment the wires is working for, in order to avoid for any flame or firing success, before giving to you any ideas about it.

Or I will look to see if it is possible to replace it by another wire that can be knowed the electrical characteristics of the wire insulation, as well as the temperature ratings, and the ammount of current that is going to flow through it, as well as the voltage referred to any ground or proximity electrical contact with it.

Suggestions:
1. Use a specimen. Cut a piece of the same conductor.
2. Place it on conductive plate
3. Apply one high voltage conductor to the specimen via a fuse that would protect the high voltage supply. (It may or may not be needed depending on the high voltage supply.)
4. Connect the other conductor of the voltage supply to the metallic base
5. Connect a suitable voltmeter with some suitable high voltage probe to the source leads connected to the specimen to measure the voltage level (It may or may not be needed depending on the high voltage supply.)
6. Increase the voltage supply voltage until the insulation fails.
7. It is a good idea to follow some industry standard(s) for the high potential testing of specimens. It just depends on which standard is the most applicable one to your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back