Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test water for austenitic and duplex stainless steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

siridi

Petroleum
Jun 9, 2020
DZ
hello all

witch one is request for Test water for austenitic and duplex stainless steel 1- chlorine content shall not exceed 50ppm or 2- combined fluorine and chlorine content shall not exceed 50ppm.

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should request potable water quality for a hydro test. With potable water, you will be allowed to discharge the water without environmental permitting problems.

The secondary standard for potable water is a pH of 6.5 to 8.5 units.

Some metals many have lower limits for certain water quality parameters. Potable water quality for hydrotest of Stainless Steel Tanks shall be "maximum 50 mg/L of Chloride" in Appendix S of API 650 (Atmospheric Tank Standard).

Fluoride is not usually present in water. However, potable water typically has approximately 1 mg/L added fluoride.

Has been discussed many times on this forum:

Thanks for the references bimr, I didn't want to go looking for them all.
I have seen lower Cl values in some end user specs. but 25ppm is the lowest that I have encountered.
50ppm Cl, and/or 100microS conductivity, and 6.5-8.5 for pH is fairly common.
Drinking water in the US is limited to 250mg/l and a TDS or 500mg/l.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

For aust SS grades, think you need to dope the water with hydrazine also to mop up the dissolved O2 also as an added measure so chlorides dont get to corrode the metal.

George, if the system was going to sit closed I would agree.
But most of these cases the system is open to air prior to test, and then open to air after test.
Oxygen saturation is nearly assured.
I am more concerned with biological activity. I would like to see something other than bleach used, such as hydrogen peroxide.
You can buy H2O2 + peracetic acid mixtures that are very effective at 1% concentration. Straight H2O2 requires something higher than 3%.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Agreed, biocide is a must for hydrotest media, regardless of material of construction. There are biocides that dont rely on O2 - oxidation to kill bacteria for SS grades, from memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back