Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing Air Motor Torque and RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

werkit217

Industrial
Jul 8, 2010
US
I am currently designing a test bench for our in-house manufactured air motors. After consulting with the line leader, this specific motor have a operating torque at 38-42 but was not able to provide me with units, running at 1300 rpm. I am in the process of verifying if the units of torque are in foot pounds as suggested by the line worker.

After spending quite sometime reading literature online for testing torque, rpm, and back travel, I have yet to find a suitable reference. This is where asking for your opinions and guidelines to make sure I acquire all the necessary components to test the air motors.

I have already designed a fixture, and in the process of pricing out the appropriate shaft (disc) coupling, a torque transducer, and a transducer read-out analyzer. We will hook the motors up to an airline to run them.

What would be a reasonable way to cut the air supply to the motors then apply a magnetic brake to stop the motor? How exactly to magnetic brakes work?

I also need a way to test the back travel the motors, I have never tested them for them so need some help to come up with a way to test that.

The existing testing method of these motors is quite unacceptable. They hook up the motors to an airline at 76 psi, and are ran in for about 20 minutes, no way of testing them nor fixture in place to hold the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back