Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing Coating Thickness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pequetj

Automotive
Aug 24, 2017
US
So since I started my co-op I've been struggling to figure out the cause of a stickiness issue between an I-Shaft and a latex painted yoke. Our shafts basically have a band of steel that stops the spline on one side, and starts a different spline on the other, I think on our drawings they call it a transition (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still very new to the engineering world, right out of high school.). When the yoke is fully pressed up against the transition they bind, and you basically can hold the shaft by the yoke and it won't come apart. Some parts even need some assistance coming off...

So I started testing with different lead-in chamfers for the yoke, I had our model shop machine 3 new chamfers on existing yokes, no chamfer (Our drawings don't show a chamfer despite there being one on production parts), 45 degrees, and 70 degrees (the transition angle was measured at around 20 degrees). Nothing has worked so far. I'm thinking it's an issue with how thick the paint is, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to measure that. I'm stumped and I could really use your help and guidance! Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back