Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Testing faraday cage (room)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimpson

Mechanical
Aug 6, 2010
IE
I would like to test a Faraday room that has been built to do some R&D work. Don't have much money to get proper instrumentation so I would like to do it on the cheap.
I have oscilloscopes and can make up some instruments.

I assume I will need a EM detector to work over a spectrum 0-3 GHz to place inside faraday room and a EM source of variable power and frequency to place outside.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Rent the tools you need...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

A good radio is probably FAR more sensitive than an oscilloscope with an EM probe. Take a decent quality AM/FM/Shortwave radio inside and close the door, tune up and down the bands. Repeat the test with a mobile (cell) phone. Considering the typical purpose of such a room (to provide an RF-quiet environment), this may be all the information you require.

Safety Advice: Make sure the door latch is fail-safe, or you have safety processes in place. One wouldn't want to working late on a Friday and be trapped inside.

I second the radio test. It's very telling. I did all my physics studies in a Faraday cage. It had nice light, was cool, I wasn't interrupted and..... I could listen to a radio without bothering anyone. Something was wrong with that but since we had a high end 10m cube Faraday/anechoic chamber elsewhere I didn't take the time to chase down what was 'leaking'.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back