Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing of ceramics parts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pras

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2002
IN
Hi,

I am planning to use a ceramic component (Alumina 99.7%) for one of my projects. I need to test the following of the same :-

(1) Composition :- Though the supplier claims that the alumina content is 99.7%, I would like to know the best method to test the same.

(2) Hardness (Wear Resistance) :- This is critically important for the application. Need to know the relevant standards / methods to test the hardness / wear resistance of ceramic components .

Could anyone help me out by providing the information as mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

Pras

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Quantative analysis for bulk/elemental composition of inorganic solids like ceramics and glasses can be performed using a number of different methods. All of the following methods are capable of reporting major/minor elements, as well as trace elements:

AAS - Atomic Absorption Spectrometry
ICP-AES - Inductively Coupled Plasma - Atomic Emission Spectroscopy
OES - Optical Emission Spectroscopy
SSMS - Spark Source Mass Spectrometry

Major component is > 10 weight (mass) %
Minor component is 0.1 to 10 weight %
Trace component is 1 to 1000 ppm or 0.0001 to 0.1 weight %

The following are ASTM test methods that may be of use to you for information regarding hardness and wear testing.

ASTM C 1326 - 99 Standard Test Method for Knoop Indentation Hardness of Advanced Ceramics

ASTM C 1327 - 99 Standard Test Method for Vickers Indentation Hardness of Advanced Ceramics

ASTM C 501 - 84 Standard Test Method for Relative Resistance to Wear of Unglazed Ceramic Tile by the Taber Abraser

ASTM C 1243 - 93 Standard Test Method for Relative Resistance to Deep Abrasive Wear of Unglazed Ceramic Tile by Rotating Disc

You can obtain these standards directly from ASTM at .

An excellent article on hardness testing of ceramics appeared in the August 1998 issue of Advanced Materials & Processes. You can to obtain a copy of this article (hardcopy or possibly electronically) from ASM International using the following link:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back