Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing requirements of concrete prior to disposal and recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mksutton

Civil/Environmental
Mar 28, 2012
US
Does anyone know of specific requirements needed for testing concrete debris(old sidewalk and curb only)prior to disposal or recycling? This is for the state of Florida (if location specific). The only requirement I could find was for testing for lead if painted prior to 1978.
He's the situation: Have been replacing sidewalk and curbs here on the Space Coast (on the Air Base) for years but have stepped it up recently. The current method has been to load Waste Management roll-offs at $250 per load. No testing ever done to date. Found a recycling center 10 minutes from here that's willing to take it at no charge. Word got out what we are attempting and now our own environmental people are saying that Florida state law requires asbestos testing prior to disposal.
This really makes no sense and I could not find anything to support that claim. Besides, wouldn't testing be required before workers went at it with saws and jackhammers?
HELP!!!
Thanks...Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Something does sound fishy. Ask your environmental people to cite you the rule since they're bringing it up. Additionally, ask them why they didn't think about this prior to this point since you seem to be in the middle of this project.

Sounds like using the recycling center would be a lot better (both environmentally and economically).

Got it...the day after I posted this the environmental flight was called out to show us and there is a memo from the state. It is for facilities and the comment came back "Oh I must have missed that part". So we're back on track...thanks for the help!!
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back