Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tetrahedra 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcad

Civil/Environmental
Jan 2, 2003
US
Hi Folks:

I'm trying to find a source for marine shoreline erosion control, but I'm really stuck on a specific topic. I don't know how to identify the structure I saw in use on Puget Sound last summer. It's basic shape appeared to be an open tetrahedra. The construction material was concrete. Two or more of the structures can be interlocked forming a very tight integration. Can anyone identify the structure?

Thanks, Tom.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe what you saw was a type of shore protection devised by the US Army Corps of Engineers. You can find out more, much more, at their website which is, I think:

They are called tetrapods, and made the originator a very wealthy man.

Cheers

Steve

The structure you saw was a "breakwater" made from tetrpod units. Tetrapods as you saw, are made from concrete of strength not less than 35N/mm2.

Breakwater structures are used either as shore protection structures or for land reclamation or for harbour basin construction.

Please refer to Shore Protection Manual (SPM) for more details on tetrapods and other breakwater construction elements.

Goodluck.
Anji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back