Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Textures

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddyfox

Computer
Oct 23, 2007
HR

Hello!

I've received some very useful tips here in the past so here I go again. :)

This is a veeery basic issue but I just can't get it right, even after all the rtfm-ing and googling.

How does one import own textures into SW? I have some very nice textures that I need to use in the near future...

I've tried Tools - Options - System options - File Locations

(Show folders for)Textures - Add

and other such variations but whatever I do my textures don't get applied.

I'm using jpg textures, SW2007 SP0.0

Any ideas?

Tnx!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, I see that I didn't specify my problem enough.

I can import textures and (sometimes) apply them to the model, but they don't render. Any way around it?

"I can import textures and (sometimes) apply them to the model, but they don't render. Any way around it?"

Do you mean they don't render when using PhotoWorks? If so, there is an option (somewhere) which forces PW to use the SW textures.

[cheers]

"What video card do you have?It may be the problem."

It's ATI Mobile xxxx, but that's not the issue (works fine eventhough it's not on the supported cards list).

"Also, in SW Help, the index tab type "textures". "

Been there, done that... no help...

Do you mean they don't render when using PhotoWorks? If so, there is an option (somewhere) which forces PW to use the SW textures.

That's exactly what I mean. I can see the textures just fine when working with the model, but they don't render. I'll look for the feature you speak of later today.

In the meantime, I've found (sort of) a workaround. I copy a material (any will do) and edit it so that both the pattern and it's bump map are the same jpg that I'm using. Naturally, this is only half of the solution but it's good enough for now because most of my textures are pretty flat anyways.

Textures in SW are not the same in PW. You will have to physically add a material to your part or a face, then render it. If you are using textures in SW they don't render.

If you look at the help in PW it tells you how to create your own materials.

Your mobility card is not supported and you will have more problems in rendering and other issues graphically that cause you more harm then good.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Textures in SW are not the same in PW. You will have to physically add a material to your part or a face, then render it. If you are using textures in SW they don't render.If you look at the help in PW it tells you how to create your own materials.

Tried that, I can even locate some material information, but the bumpmaps proved to be more hassle than they are worth, especially since my textures are mostly flat.

Your mobility card is not supported and you will have more problems in rendering and other issues graphically that cause you more harm then good.

Right now it has performed very well on anything I had to throw at it so far. This may well bite me on the a** later on, but since this is a company laptop I have no alternative but to use it and hope for better days.

Nevertheless, thank you for your thoughts. This is probably the most professional forum on ANY topic I've come across in years. Cheers, all! :)

So now it sounds like your wanting textures and are not using PW?

So are you trying to render a texture? (that does not work)
Are you adding materials into PW from Bitmaps?
Or are you adding the bitmaps into your textures?
Are you using Texture or Photoworks... The last 2 of your posts are confusing:

CBL: Do you mean they don't render when using PhotoWorks? If so, there is an option (somewhere) which forces PW to use the SW textures.

muddyfox: That's exactly what I mean. I can see the textures just fine when working with the model, but they don't render. I'll look for the feature you speak of later today.

SBaugh: Textures in SW are not the same in PW. You will have to physically add a material to your part or a face, then render it. If you are using textures in SW they don't render.If you look at the help in PW it tells you how to create your own materials.

muddyfox: Tried that, I can even locate some material information, but the bumpmaps proved to be more hassle than they are worth, especially since my textures are mostly flat.

Textures don't render.

Materials from PW will render. Custom materials can be made. But they must be saved in *.p2m format.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

So now it sounds like your wanting textures and are not using PW?

:) I'm sorry that things got out of sync here... I'm using PW, but I'm not all that proficient with SW yet to be able to ask succint questions :)

So are you trying to render a texture? (that does not work)
Are you adding materials into PW from Bitmaps?
Or are you adding the bitmaps into your textures?

Basically, yes. I was hoping PW was "smart" enough to use image bitmap as a flat bumpmap in absence of explicitly defined bitmap but no dice, obviously.

Textures don't render.
Materials from PW will render. Custom materials can be made. But they must be saved in *.p2m format.

This is what I found out through trial and error. I've made "new" materials by copying existing ones and changing original bitmaps with my own. I've tricked it into rendering a flat material by using that same bitmap as a bumpmap. As I said, my "materials" are flat anyways, so this is a workaround I'm willing to live with at this point.

Tnx for all your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back