Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Best Program for 3-D design and Stress Analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reades

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2002
US
To all,

I have taken the initiative to find a software program, which would be better suitable for my companies needs in performing more cost affectively in their current/future projects. The only problem, I'm not sure what programs are on the market that will meet/perform to the necessary tasks.

The software must meet 3 criteria: The ability to perform 3-D Design layouts, Pipe Stress Analysis, and Structural Support Analysis.

As you all know Pipe Stress and Structural Support Analysis software do not easily cross from analysis to 3-D design software or vice versa, as an example, AutoCAD and PipePlus.

You can easily find a software package that performs 3-D design or Pipe Stress Analysis or Structural Analysis alone, but is there a program that will perform all three?

What I would like to find is a software program, which will be able to meet all three needs and be able to produce either an individual output of each criteria or a combined output of all 3 criteria. Can anyone suggest such a program or does anyone know of programs that easily integrate with each other to give me the results I am looking for?

Thank you everyone for your time and efforts.
Fellow Engineer,
Steve Reade
Northstar Ind.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use Algor and it does structural and pipe analysis. I does have it's own CAD but not as good as Inventor or Pro Engineer. Most cases you want a simplified model and ALGOR's built in CAD good for this purpose.

Raj

We've used ALGOR for some years now and find it quite satisfactory You can import and export models to/from from certain Autocad versions or use the built in CAD.
They have several levels so make sure what you wish to do. Once you get all the necesary parts, which include a piping package, they do interface so that you can do the complete analysis. You need to discuss the complete application you need with a rep at their main office.
Like most heavy duty software, it's not cheap, and you need to think carefully about a service agreement and upgrades (which can be as expensive again).

I think Autocad Inventor includes a stress analysis package but I haven't used it.

[smile]
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back