Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The call back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmet

Materials
Jul 18, 2005
CA
So, I was hoping this would come up in another thread but I couldn't really find one.

I was in contact with a large worldwide company that had an opening I was interested in. I spoke with someone in HR twice about it and they seemed to be interested in me, at least somewhat.

This was before Christmas and was told at the time that all hiring would be put off until the new year. Since then all job postings have been taken off their webpage. Last week I called my contact in the HR department and left a message to see what the status of this job is and never heard back.

Should I keep calling? Or leave a message and sit here and wait? I can't decide. Somedays I feel like I should be calling daily other days I feel like I should just wait for them to call me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd keep calling, although probably not daily. I've been fortunate enough to have this work twice for me in the past and know for a fact that one of the hiring companies was impressed by my tenacity (or did they say I was a PITA???) in pursuing the job.

Your luck may not be the same, particularly given the fact that this is a large multi-national and the job postings have disappeared. As long as you don't make a nuisance of yourself I don't see what you have to lose...

I had a vaguely similar situation and did call a few times, though not daily, maybe once a week or so. However, I had verbally been offered the job and was only waiting for details to firm up, I was mainly concerned about sorting out my notice for current employer but didn't want to jump till the new one was in writing.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Sounds like an across-the-board hiring freeze. Apparently you don't rate the courtesy of a return call. Few applicants do, nowadays.

A return call, what's one of those;-). I agree with Tick though, that's what I thought when I read your post that maybe since your previous contact they've had a hiring freeze.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Either that, or your contact got downsized. We started out with a 4-person HR and currently only have a single person...

Given what you know, you'd have to assume that they're off the air, at least for the near future...

TTFN

FAQ731-376

IRstuff, that sound familiar too. Macmet next time you call you might just ask for any living member of HR rather than specific person if they don't pick up. At least by speaking to a person you can get some idea what's going on.

I'd assume the worst & look elsewhere, if it comes through then that's a plus.

KENAT,

Big companies work slowly.

If you've only talked to HR, then you've talked to nobody. HR does not make hire decisions.

If there are no jobs listed on their web site then they have a "hiring freeze" or similar.

The hiring manager may still have a need, and may still have permission to fill a spot that was authorized before the freeze.

If you don't know any other names, and the name you know don't work there no more...

Thanks for everyone's feedback, I appreciate it.

There was a hiring freeze up to the new year that I was told would be lifted in January. It's possible it's been extended though. It would be nice to hear it from them and not just assume that's the case.

I'm still looking other places, this job just seemed like it was a really good fit. I'm like a few others on here, desperate for a new job, I need a change.

I always get a chuckle out of the UPS commercials that say, "Moving at the speed of business.". Most businesses seem to move at a speed that would make a glacier bored.

If it is a big firm, slow is normal. I work for a large multi national firm right now. When I was hired, the time between first interview and start date was 6 months - and I only gave my previous employer two weeks notice after I signed the offer letter with my new employer. I also suggest trying to talk to someone rather than leaving messages.

Call as often as you like. Do not leave massages and don't expect a call back. If your calls are being screened by a receptionist or secretary then they don't want to talk to you. Persistance is a good quality. Harrassment or desperation is not.

macmet
Had the same thing happen to me twice in two months. In one case a regime change occured just prior to my interview and the offer of a position with a major Oil company. Not only was hiring put on hold, reductions in current staffing also happened. In the other case after being offered a position, the economic outlook for that major Engineering firm soured. In both cases after initially contacting their HR departments with similar results described by you, I called the individuals with whom I interviewed and was appraised of the situations.

I tend to second metengr's advice.

I got in right before a hiring freeze was announced-may have been the last one hired. Some strategically timed calls and e mails made all the difference. However, I had a hiring manager involved and he was the one that built a fire under the HR person. So if you haven't talked to a hiring manager, I wouldn't offer you much hope.

rmw

i work with an engineering firm, and i have to say from experience,most companies are downsizing because they have no on-going projects or the project being expected has not been approved as such only the essential personel are kept, others have been given forced leave-without pay.
The global finacial meltdown is certainly a big factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back