Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The cost effective way for energy submetering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scythe13

Mechanical
Jan 3, 2012
Hi,

Because heat meters are so expensive, what are the alternative ways to calculate the energy consumption of fan coils?

-consider the pipe distribution is horizontal, so by knowing the flow and supply and return temperature I can estimate the energy consumption.

-The flow in fan coils are constant, the adjusting parameter is fan speed, so I just need to measure the flow annually

-What I have in mind is setting thermometer in the inlet and outlet of pipes. The thermometers record the temperatures hourly, then at the end of each month I can collect data remotely and export them into an excel spreadsheet. Can you give me a link containing datasheet of such thermometers?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Currently, Grundfoss presented new generation of pumps that also have heat metering option regularly included.

This is one of improvements I deem very useful, as each and every pump will have such option at no additional charge, and lot of opportunity for energy monitoring and management can be open.

Of course, that applies only for new installations or large refurbishments.

If I were a tenant and a landlord proposed to send me an energy bill calculated from hourly temperature measurements and annual flow measurements I would not lease in that building.

Or I would lease, then refuse to pay the energy bill because the proposed method is not sufficiently accurate.

There is a reason that proper heat meters cost money.

If this is for purely internal auditing then it might be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back