Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The difference between U-1A form for pressure vessel registration and AB-25 for Alberta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdp6632

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2009
CA
Hi,
I work in Alberta/Canada and we get most of the pressure vessels used in oil and gas delivered to us while those are made ouit of province and sometimes across the border in US.
My question is that sometimes we get U-1A form with the vessel confirming that it was made as per ASME Sec VIII Div 1 while some other times we get a form AB-25 instead which is issued by (Alberta Municiple Corporation) confirming that it was built as per Sec VIII div 1.

What is difference between both.

Someone from Alberta might understand my question better.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It basically comes down to the manufacturer's quality control program. Most pressure vessel shops are certified by ASME and use the U-1A form. ABSA in Alberta issues their own quality control certification which does not permit the manufacturer to use the U-1A form and instead use the AB-25 form. Both are acceptable and the vessel is fully compliant with ASME VIII Div 1.

You need to contact the Alberta Boiler Branch and confirm registration for the U-1A document as per AB-25. This means that the Alberta government wants their registration fee regardless of the work your vendor did. The difference is that you get to use the product you paid for, and pay a tax to the local federali to use it.

Regards,
Cockroach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back