Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The file could not be opened for reading...more memory ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skjoex

Structural
Jul 17, 2007
SK
Hi,

I have a table of values in excel which contains over 16000 rows. I would like to read it to Mathcad, but error message "The file could not be opened for reading. Make sure the file exists and is not in use by another application" pops up. Only when I reduce the number of rows in excel I can read the file.

Is there a way to tell Mathcad to use more memory ? I mean I have 2GB RAM, but when I look to Windows task manager I can see that Mathcad use only about 120MB.

thanx in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you talking Maple(13) or Mupad(14)?
With the latter I've seen this (from the Collab:
I found v14 gets into a memory bind much faster than v11 and it very quickly chews through system RAM. I understand this has been an underlying problem with all these versions of Mathcad and it is disappointing that v14 not only has not fixed this problem but actually seems to be worse than v11. It took only a couple of runs with v14 to consume 1GB of RAM (compared to a far lower figure with v11) as shown in Windows task manager, before it stopped.

I have found v14 has bad memory management with v11 looking like an angel in comparison.

Further, v14 does not release itself from system memory when it is closed as an application. (The only way to remove mathcad.exe from system memory is to either delete it from within the Process tab in Windows Task Manager or to re-boot the computer). This is an irritation rather than a serious problem. I have not seen this in other software programmes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back