Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The grout shall be segregate 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm pretty sure you're right about what it should say. Just goes to show almost no one reads specifications.

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

Rod,

To quote an earthwork contractor, "What do you mean modified proctor? I've never heard of a modified proctor." He just bid the job based on how many yards needed to be moved and never read the specs.

Grout should never segregate. Sometimes spec writers don't even know what they are writing and don't understand the implications.

Thanks. That makes sense to me, I just had Grout Expectations that Sika's cementitious grout specs couldn't be all wrong.

Yes Ron, in particilar that with most contracts, specs override drawings...

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

dik - I had asked this a while back - the priority of documents. In the overseas contracts I have been involved in, it is clear in writing that specifications overrule drawings which overrule BOQ (yes, I have seen some BOQs try to 'design' the project). The results of many comments was that the most "onerous" ruled. Interesting . . .

With any contracts I've been involved with, the hierarchy of documents stipulate that specs override drawings... including a few European and Asian projects. I've not seen it any other way. I'm only aware of a couple of court cases and there was no 'waffling' on this matter. A lot of contract law is 'written in stone' with no wiggle room, is my experience.

I've gotten into many discussions with firms that I've worked with on this matter. Generally specs are relegated to an 'afterthought' and not considered that imporant. Some firms have 'real' spec writers, and that's their only function. Ron was 'bang on', as usual.

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

In our construction spec book here at the DOT, this is the order of precedence:

documents have the following order of precedence:
1. Successive “Contract Amendments” (Form E-61) in order of issuance, most recent first.
2. Addenda
3. “Contract” (Form E-82A).
4. Department-obtained agreements.
5. “Proposal” (Form E-91).
6. Special provisions.
7. Supplementary documents.
8. Plans.
9. Supplementary specifications.
10.Standard plans.
11.These Standard Specifications.
12.Electronic CADD files.

Thanks Rod... that's the first time I've seen that hierarchy. Which jurisdiction? [ponder]

-Dik

Do you have a *.pdf of the standard contract? or do they have one?

-Dik

If I understand correctly, the "Contract" is whole 'build' package for a particular project - plans, specifications, agreements, etc. that the Contractor and the owner's rep. sign after the bid is awarded.

If the list is omitted from the "Project Manual" or "Contract Documents," I guess this would be the default list.
That's how it works. Everything applies unless it is superseded by something in a document higher on the list.

Thanks... that shows

Clipboard01_bvyz6n.jpg

I've been unable to locate the actual contract form that shows this to be the case. Just because it's shown here, doesn't mean this is the case. #3 is the kicker... If it's not stipulated here, it's not... the first three items are common to all contracts, I've encountered. [ponder]

-Dik

I'm not sure I follow you, dik. I think generally only provisions specific to the project are spelled out in the contract. I believes items 4 through 8 on that list typically become part of the Contract, but if they are altered at the time of being incorporated into the Contract, then the version in the Contract supersedes the previous versions.

The plans will show placing crushed base in a particular location, but all of the material properties, gradations, etc. as well as directives of how to place it, compact it, etc. are in the Standard Specifications and the contractor has to follow that unless it's superseded by something contradictory in the plans or a special provision, such as a different gradation for the material. If the gradation in the spec book will do the job, then the plans don't mention the gradation, and since there's nothing saying otherwise, the contractor is required to use what's shown in the spec book.

The Contract Plans may show a particular type of guardrail to be installed at a particular location, and unless there's something unusual about it, the contractor will refer to the Standard Plans for all the details of how to build it, and the Standard Specifications for what materials to use for the various components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back