Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

THE GUIDE SPACING FOR STRIGHT PIPELINE 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOBLINTECHNIC

Mechanical
Mar 9, 2009
TH
I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO CALCULATE AND THE OBJECTIVE OF THE PIPE MAXIMUM GUIDE SPACING IN A STRIGHT PIPELINE.

IS THE OBJECTIVE TO PLACE GUIDE IS FOR PROTECT PIPELINE FROM WIND LOADING ONLY ?

SOMEBODY TELL ME THE OTHER REASON IS FOR DIRECT THE EXPANSION INTO THE BEND OF EXPANSION LOOP. BUT I THINK IT IS ONLY FIRST GUIDE FROM LOOP DOING THIS DUTY BECAUSE THIS ONLY TWO GUIDE IS RECIEVE BENDING MOMENT FROM EXPANSION LOOP.

AND THE OTHER GUIDE IN A STRIGHT PIPELINE IS PROVIDE FOR PROTECT PIPELINE FROM WINDLOAD ONLY ?

OR IT HAS ANY REASON ?

THANKS & REGARDS,.
GOBLINTECHNIC
PIPING ENGINEER

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Goblin

I'm sorry your shift key broke.

Are these guides pipe supports or are they truly just "guide"?

For a pipe support, there are also deadweight and seismic issues that need to be considered.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Aside from his shift key problem, GOBLIN seems to be missing a larger point.

Locating and sizing pipe supports implies some type of stress/flexibility or deadload analysis was done on the particular piping system.

Analysis of a pipng system means that loading conditions were developed for each system on a project.... ie. rack piping shall be evaluated for wind and seismic conditions.....steam piping systems shall be designed with and evaluated for expansion loops.

There are many conditions and reasons for piping guides, but without a clear plan, a design criteria and an understanding of the process, the reason that a particular guide was installed can't be known.

-MJC

Here is my thoughts and opinions about this subject.

"Pipe Guides"
Guides are NOT pipe anchors. Pipe guides are designed and intended for use on elevated pipe racks or sleeper pipe racks to keep a pipe run in it's original designed position.

Why do we want to keep the pipes in position? Well that is rather simple to understand if you have ever seen a pipe rack that did not have any guides. It is not just a matter of aesthetics but also effects the proper controlled movement of a piping system during thermal growth.

What about the placement and spacing of Pipe Guides. Well lets take a Steam line with a run of 200 feet between anchors and a "Loop" in the middle. Depending on the support spacing this steam line will possibly cross four (4) pipe supports between the anchor and the "Loop" then four (4) more between the "Loop" and the next anchor. The anchor will normally be designed to hold the pipe in position both longitudinally and transversely. So you do not need a "Guide" at that point. You will need one (1) or two (2) pipe guides on each side of the "Loop" depending on the size and schedule (thus Flexibility) of the pipe line. The Guides must be at least one pipe support away from the Loop and or the anchor.

Here are three articles that may assist you.

pennpiper

A series of very informative articles. Did you write them?

If so, nice job.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO CALCULATE AND THE OBJECTIVE OF THE PIPE MAXIMUM GUIDE SPACING IN A STRIGHT PIPELINE.

If that is what you WANT, perhaps you should politely ask if someone would please explain the topic to you.

Horizontal and vertical guides are used by real piping engineers for various purposes. Pipe guides are often used at a location where the piping is also supported.

At horizontal expansion loops guides are placed relatively close to the "offset legs" of the loop to prevent excessive moments that would occur at the upstream and downstream anchors. Sometimes it is necessary to have additional guides between the expansion loop and the anchors to better break the moments into a series of force couples.

Piping guides are also used to control the movement of the piping under wind loadings and/or under seismic loadings. You should read the relatively new B31E,"Earthquake Design of Pressure Piping". You will also find (if you look) some useful information in The American Lifelines Alliance publication "Guideline for the Seismic Design and Retrofit of Piping Systems", 2002, and you can download it without cost at this Internet address:

I hope that this information will be useful to you and I also hope that you will learn to address your professional colleagues with some respect in the future.

GOBLINTECHNIC,
As a "Piping Engineer" you should really know these basics and if you are a Piping Engineer then placement of guides should be within your competency!! Sorry to be so direct but that is the situation.

GOBLINTECHNIC,

I apologize for my angry reply. I will accept there is a difference between languages and cultures that sometimes results in misunderstandings.

Regards, John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back