Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The history of first satellite ever launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_Hall

Aerospace
Jan 27, 2022
UA
On October 4, 1957 the Soviet Union launched the first man-made Earth orbit satellite Sputnik 1.
The satellite was designed by Korolev, the father of the Soviet space program.
Sputnik 1 spent 3 months in space and managed to complete about 1400 orbits.
It has made a huge breakthrough in space history.

sp1_ccirnn.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The effect was shocking. Like the next step would be bombs from space. My Dad was a ham radio operator so he tuned into the frequency so we could hear the beep beep beep. I think the local newspaper published a time table of when the satellite was in the vicinity. Friends at school came over to hear the beeps. Almost as memorable an event as the Kennedy assassination.

I remember that... shot my first deer the day after, Nov 23/63 (deer)... I was 16 at the time.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

and still playing engineer, too. We'll give you a few years and you'll eventually catch up, hopefully.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Give it time... you'll eventually become BigWheels[pipe]

-Dik

Need Another Seven Astronauts...

"McDonald, the director of the Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Motor Project for the engineering contractor Morton Thiokol, was concerned that below-freezing temperatures might impact the integrity of the solid rockets' O-rings."

No one was held accountable for this serious design error.

-Dik

It’s been a few years since I read the reports, but IIRC that was an operational error on the part of NASA’s top brass, not a design error on Thiokol’s.

I agree tho on the frustration with the lack of accountability for bureaucrats.

No one was held accountable for this serious design error.

NASA was fully aware of the temperature limitation, but launched anyway; management essentially demanded that Thiokol and NASA engineers "prove" that there was a problem to stop the launch

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

There's a place, not far from Promontory Point, Utah, where the East and West transcontinental railroads met and the 'Golden' spike was driven, that's called 'Rocket Park'. It's a display of 'rocket' paraphernalia on public display, in the parking lot of one of Thiokol’s testing facilities:

GT-075_u0eezr.jpg

October 2009 (Sony A100)

On one of our 'photo safaris' that my late friend Dennis and I took, we stopped after seeing one of those 'brown signs' while we were heading toward Promontory, and as a couple of geeky engineers, we just had to see what it was all about. Now, it was a Sunday morning and the facility was closed, but the 'Rocket Park' was outside the compound's fence so it was not a problem getting a chance to see what was on display. In addition to a lot of old test engines, they had on display many more recognizable items, like a section of a Minuteman Missile:

GT-080_t4uaoo.jpg

October 2009 (Sony A100)

And of course, a Shuttle booster:

GT-078_dc3r9a.jpg

October 2009 (Sony A100)

Including one of the sections that made-up the of the booster's body:

GT-086_by6pl2.jpg

October 2009 (Sony A100)

And you could clearly see the grooves where the O-Rings were installed:

GT-082_ehdtrd.jpg

October 2009 (Sony A100)

Of course, the informational placard made no mention of the aforementioned O-Ring grooves or their significance:

GT-083_avwycb.jpg

October 2009 (Sony A100)

Anyway, it was a very interesting display and while they didn't highlight the issues with the O-Rings, they also didn't hide these items, and of course, any 'geeky' engineer who stopped by to see what was with this 'Rocket Park', out in the middle of nowhere, would know exactly what he or she was looking at.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I used to buy O-rings from a guy that was on the accident investigation for Challenger.
We had some interesting conversations.

Another great museum for space is in Hutchinson KS, Cosmosphere.
The largest collection of US space hardware outside of the Smithsonian and the largest Russian collection outside of Moscow.
They have the test articles for many of the early satellites.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

If you guys want to start down a seemingly never-ending road of fascinating information, pick up one of the many books on the engineering history of the Apollo program. My first one was Digital Apollo, all about the development and design of the Apollo computer. I was hooked, I've read probably a dozen more since then. Now I'm into A Man On the Moon by Andrew Chaiken, the book that Tom Hanks' wonderful HBO series, From the Earth to the Moon, was based on.

By the way, in 1957 I was six years old. I remember standing in my grandparents' back yard looking up into the sky to try to see Sputnik. That didn't really work to well. But now I can stand in my front yard and watch the ISS as it passes overhead at night. Amazing!

My family and I saw the Spudnik a few times - going across the sky - kinda slow. We were living in Pakistan and I was working at Mangla Dam for the contractor. Almost forgot that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back