Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The merging of details from two seperate parts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

drhine

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2003
US
I have a question that was presented to me a few moments ago. Lets say for example I have a situation come up were two different people are working on the same part but different file name. And we like the ideas both people have about different interacting designs. What would be the most efficient way to merge the two parts together to get the sketches and features from one part to the other to create one complete part? Now here is the catch in this or maybe not, some of the features we want to incorporate from on part to the other are hole wizard items. I look forward to reading the responses you all may have to this solution.

Regards,

Dale Rhinehart

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This will probably not be a popular answer:

IMHO, the best way to do this is to place the two models in an assembly superimposed upon one another. Use one as a template, and modify the other until it matches.

You may still be able to drag-and-drop some features and sketches to copy. I have had wretched luck with attempting to migrate features and sketches from one part to another.

[bat]Good and evil: wrap them up and disguise it as people.[bat]

That was exactly what I suggest this person do, create the assembly and go from there.
But I was hoping there may be a different way to accomplish the same thing more effeciently.
I also told them they could try to copy and paste the sketches from one part to the other.

Just use assembly and assemble the parts together. If there's only some differences between the parts but have some identical features on the faces. Assemble at the identical features and just play around. Example, assuming each of your two parts has a square face. Mate at the face and manipulate from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back