Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The modelling power of SW? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peka

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2002
Over de past 10 years we used Solid Designer as MCAD software.
Now we searching for additional 3D CAD software specially for plastic part design.
We have evaluated the 3 high-end packages, Catia, UGS NX2 & Pro/E, but we don’t take a decision.
For a high-end package it’s rather a big price.
Now we also think about Solid Works because :
- there is a lot of interesting modules in the standard configuration for a low price
(about € 8300 in respect of for example about € 21.000 for NX2 with more functionality in SW)
- it’s easy to you and easy to learn

What we don’t know, and difficult to evaluate, is the modelling power of SW for plastic part design, specially surfacing, freeform, lofts and blends.
Can anybody tell me how is the modelling power of SW in respect of the 3 high-end packages?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO, SolidWorks 2005 is very good and can do just about anything the bigger packages can do. I suggest have each do a demo for your company. Only you can determine which is best for your company.

It's great. I'm an industrial designer who prefers to work directly in SW. I do my own engineering from the design concepts and have found very few limitations to the surfacing capacities.

However, if you need accurate tangency between spline geometry or surfaces (important for air foils and such), SW might not work as well for you. I design plastic parts for injection molding all the time and have no problems when we come to production or tooling. It transfers to our vendors with no problems. Also, almost every vendor now has SW themselves, so they can view the files in native format.

Follow ctopher's advice and try it out for yourself. Make your own models--don't trust the sales force with their slick models. Get to know the program for yourself. Everyone has a slick pitch.

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

Peka

First, you should know what extent of the design process you will need for your company (for example, CATIA is much more than a "simple" CAD system - is a product life-cicle manager, in which the design with CAD is one of the tasks).

Second, and how complex is the geometry of your parts? This will imply high-end packages or not - check Theophilus post.

Third, find if SW as all the features you need.

Against the opinions of some of our friends, don't trust your skills and don't try yourself SW (OK, you should try it, but don't judge SW this way). You will have difficulties, you will be stuck somewhere, you will think that some important features are missing. This is because you are not experienced with SW the "way of work". The same will be valid for any other CAD you will test.

Select some representative designs of you company. Ask the VAR's of different packages to "design" them. Tis will serve not only to evaluate the capabilities and simplicity of the CAD, but also the capabilities of you VAR. You should consider the VAR quality to decide which software to buy.

Finaly you must decide if the price is even with the beneficts. Don't forget maintenance and training costs. Don´t forget also HW and user needs. Be careful with extra costs of extra functions. Some packages are an extent sum of optional features. Others, like SW, have one price for a complete design package, having few extra features that you need to check if you need them.

Good Luck

ctopher said:
IMO, SolidWorks 2005 is very good and can do just about anything the bigger packages can do

Not even close. Try sculpting surfaces with curvature continuity.

[bat]Due to illness, the part of The Tick will be played by... The Tick.[bat]

Tick,
I agree. Most companies don't use that feature anyway, but is great to have. Most med to sm size companies SolidWorks will do what they need. If I were with a large comany, I prefer ProE or UG.

Take a look at what some people are doing with SolidWorks.

Just be careful, your milage may vary.

Ray Reynolds
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

ctopher:

Right. For 90% or better, SW is plenty. It's a matter of correctly sizing up the needs of a company.

p.s.
Sorry if I seemed short with you on the last post. I've been pressed for time.

[bat]Due to illness, the part of The Tick will be played by... The Tick.[bat]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back