Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The NEC, stray voltage, and ductwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddy91082

Electrical
Jan 22, 2009
US
The National Electrical Code (NEC) has a 6' vertical clearance requirement above electrical equipment (panelboards and switchboards) where no "foreign" equipment (ductwork, piping, etc.) can be installed. This requirement is for low voltage systems , 600v and below.

I An inspector told me that the 6' is in place because to keep stray voltages from energizing metallic objectives such as ductwork or piping. I find this hard to believe. You would need a "stray" current first to produce a "stray" voltage.

Yes, you could get a stray current from the magnetic fields from transformers, and perhaps from feeders that are unbalanced. But i just don't see ductwork and piping getting energized from nearby.

Anyone know where i might find some source of information where studies have been performed on this?

Thanks in advance.

b

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nothing to do with stray voltages i don't think. It's just to allow adequate space above for getting conduits in and allowing some working space. The panels are enclosed in a grounded enclosure, so electric field effect is minimal.

I'm with dpc on this. Remember, even the best and most knowledgeable inspector does not know everything.
In Canada I check the Handbook to The Canadian Electrical Code for an authoritative answer to questions about the "Why" behind code rules. I don't have access to my copy just now. Is there an equivalent handbook for the NEC?.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Bill,

Yes there are at least a couple. The one published by NFPA - the NEC Handbook is a good resource and also includes the entire text of the NEC.

You can check it; measure open circuit on ductwork with respect to ground, then lay a live insulated conductor on the ductwork and repeat.

If there is any AC/DC voltage at all, load it with 1, 10 or 100 ohm resistors and figure out the Thevenin equiv. source impedance.

There might be 100 pF/foot of capacitance between Romex and the ductwork.

I guess this has to do with NEC 110.26(F)(1)(a).

Our 2008 NEC Handbook explains, "This reserved space permits busways, conduits, raceways, and cables to enter the equipment," which confirms dpc's explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back