Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The Pitch of an Intermittent Weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry1423

Mechanical
Aug 19, 2005
US
I need to specify an intermittent fillet weld along a large cylinder.
It is acceptable to specify the pitch of the weld as an angle, or should I stick with a distance ?

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX1961

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've only seen it done as a distance... never as an angle. In Canada..

-FOR INTERMITTENT WELDS, LENGTH SHALL NOT BE LESS THAN THE GREATER OF 4 TIMES THE WELD SIZE OR 40MM (1-1/2”). FOR COMPRESSION MEMBERS, THE MAX CLEAR SPACING BETWEEN WELDS SHALL NOT EXCEED 12”. FOR TENSION MEMBERS, THE MAX CLEAR SPACING BETWEEN WELDS SHALL NOT EXCEED 18” (CSA W59 11.4.13.2).

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Do you feel any better?

-Dik

Agree with the posts above. Stick with a distance, even if specifying pitch.

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

I've laid out welds around large diameter pipes at degree increments. Like (12) welds at 30° increments around circumference. But this is when dealing with a fabricator that knew what I was intending. Other engineers have laid out similar welds at spacing rounded to nearest inch - but then they don't always work out and you can end up with an odd increment.

Thank you very much for your responses. Sticking with a distance is the way to go, especially since I do not have control of where this will be made because I work for an international company.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX1961

jerry1423 said:
I do not have control of where this will be made because I work for an international company.

You've just inadvertently summarized the whole problem with the globalized EPC business model. It gets even worse for your customers.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Yes, this is definitely a problem with the globalization of the industrial world today, and I really hate it, but the accountants think it is the greatest thing ever.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX1961

In the end, the goal is to communicate what you want/need. The purpose of standards is to help clarify. If you are asking if it's acceptable according to a specific standard, I have no idea. But if you're not strictly following a standard that specifies how such things need to be communicated, then the answer is: It's acceptable if it gets the result needed.

SirPhobos

Jerry1423:
Why not a note like: “At a closure btwn. two runs of welds, use three or four equal (but slightly smaller) spaces (smaller pitch lengths) and the same prescribed length of weld for the final few closure welds.” Good welders will almost always make their welds slightly larger than called out and slightly long too. There is nothing they hate more than being called back to add .5" to the length of a weld, or to add one light pass to fatten it up a bit. This is really the problem of the layout man who marks this welding out for the welders, they are supposed to be the thinkers of the lot, and supposed to have a little imagination, and know the welding codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back