Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

the reason of the change with UW-11(a)(4)?

YuJie_PV

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2017
CN
i accidentally find one change of UW-11(a)(4) in ASME VIII-1 since 2019 edition.

UW-11(a)(4) of 2017 edition:
(4) all butt welds in nozzles, communicating chambers, etc., with the nominal thickness at the welded joint that exceeds the thickness in (2) above or attached to the shell or heads of vessels under (1), (2), or (3) above that are required to be fully radiographed; however, except as required by UHT-57(a), Categories B and C butt welds in nozzles and communicating chambers that neither exceed NPS 10 (DN 250) nor 11/8 in. (29 mm) wall thickness do not require any radiographic examination;

UW-11(a)(4) of 2019 edition:
(4) all butt welds in nozzles, communicating chambers, etc., with the nominal thickness at the welded joint that exceeds the thickness in (2) above or attached to the shell or heads of vessels under (1)or (3) above that are required to be fully radiographed; however, except as required by UHT-57(a), Category B and C butt welds in nozzles and communicating chambers that neither exceed NPS 10 (DN 250) nor 11/8 in. (29 mm) wall thickness do not require any radiographic examination;

Code committee deleted the nozzles attached to the shell or heads of vessels under (2), anyone knows the reason?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As to your specific question: I will not answer that (perhaps someone else can).

If youre interested in understanding the Code change process, its a good idea to attend Code committee meeting. They're free.

There are all sorts of committees you can join. I can only tell from personal experience in ASME B31 codes, where there's an International Review Group committee that has their meeting usually online (though, in 2025, were going to Amsterdam!). The same may apply for ASME BPV sections, but Im not a committee member of BPV. I can highly recommend the committee work, for various reasons. If you were to be part of a Code committee, changes are its easier to understand or find out how certain changes may evolved over time into what is now in the Code book.

Where are you located, and whats your primary scope or focus of work, i.e. piping, vessels, or ... etc.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Back