Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The Recommended Minimum Distance or Proximity from a Buried Gas Pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.G

Petroleum
Dec 22, 2022
AE
Dear All,

We operate a 12-inch oil export pipeline with an operating pressure of 40 barg, and a 24-inch gas export pipeline with an operating pressure of 65 barg. Both pipelines are buried within the same corridor. We have been informed of plans to construct a gas/petrol station in close proximity to these pipelines, at a distance of less than 10 meters.

Could you please provide guidance on the recommended minimum distance from the pipelines for this construction? Additionally, could you give us references from relevant standards, such as API, ASME, or PHMSA guidelines?

Thank you for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are no specifications in codes or industry standards for buildings along the pipeline.

But since your pipelines are already there, I would expect to find that you have a right-of-way (RoW) that gives you permission to have your pipelines installed at that location. Normally the RoW will specify a certain width (normally 15m, up to 30m wide in some cases) for your pipelines to occupy and that no other construction can be made within a specified distance to either side of your existing pipelines. The RoW documents are usually made a legal auxiliary document and file and held with the deed to the property in question at the nearest land registry office. You should also be able to find copies of the RoW documents in your company archives.

Ideally you would want to retain a clearance of about 10m to any other structure to permit future access for equipment to reach the pipeline for repair purposes, but that can sometimes be reduced a bit under very specific circumstances.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

These issues are normally dictated by local safety regulations. You're showing as UAE, so there may be prescriptive limits imposed, but otherwise it becomes a risk issue or as Mr 44 says, is this within your ROW?

I can't see any big issues tbh. Petrol stations bury their tanks usually, so even a gas explosion won't cause them to ignite.

The risk from one to the other is actually very low.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Yeah. Your pipelines probably poise about the same, or even greater danger than the petrol station, so as long as your pipelines remain in good condition and you can access them, I wouldn't worry too much about a petrol station.

I installed a 10" diameter gasoline, diesel and jet fuel pipeline around the Ring Road in Jeddah, that passed between the road and several petrol stations, with cars and trucks actually crossing over the pipeline to enter and leave the station. We didn't have a dedicated RoW, only temporary, and had to block traffic along the service road to install it. You should have about 2m of clear cover for that. Other pipelines alongside roads in Jizan, Yanbu, north of Abbah, Riyadh and Buraydah. They've all been operating over 20yrs now.

10m would normally be enough space, but you do say less. I wouldn't want that to be too much less. Say minimum of 7 or 8m seems good.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

OP,
You need to check the 'set back' distances requirement for permanent structures/dwelling from your local Pipeline Regulator. The set back distance depends on what and how much volume is flowing through the pipeline.

For example: In my province, it is minimum 100 meters for <300 cu.m of H2S.

GDD
Canada

UAE has no special pipeline regulations. Or they didn't have any when I was there 10yrs ago.
Appears to be clean export products.

The only distance worth considering is the crater distance you could get from a full bore rupture.

For a 24" 40 barg line in sand this is about 7 to 8 m Radius. So in theory even if it didn't catch fire, you wouldn't want to have the petrol station fall into the crater. Otherwise this is just a risk exercise.

So 10m sounds about right, but not less than 8m separation.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back