Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The relationship between antenna and its radiation pattern (H...HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymondli

Electrical
Nov 10, 2002
HK
Hello,

I am analysing Planar Inverted-F Antenna (PIFA) which is a kind of microstrip antenna, and looking for how its radiation patterns relate to its structure.

For example, its E(phi) radiation in XY plane is like a circle-based shape, but how this relates to its structure.....? What formula relates to that?

Pls kindly help me.

Raymond

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Raymondli,

I just read your question.
As you said PIFA is a kind of microstrip antenna, the main beam occurs in the broadside, i.e., perpendicular to the the patch.
Ephi is defined as thetha constant and phi varied from -180 to +180 degrees. Assume thetha some values and vary phi and you find the power at all points to be equal (coz the maximum occurs at (0,0) and the power pattern is symmetrical). Now that the amplitude of the power is same at all points, in the linear plot we get a straight line and in the polar plot you get the circle.

If you want any visual demonstrations, I can help you with it..as I already have them. You can contact me at this mail address: sjadda@rediffmail.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back