Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The right solution for cutting Nitinol (super hard metal)/ Hard Steel core(bar) 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash-83

Materials
Jul 21, 2021
US
Looking for a solution for cutting (super hard) Nitinol tubes and hard Steel cores(about 0.25" to 1"). Can "cold cutting saw" potentially be a solution? Im specifically asking about this method since I could avoid considering an exhaust system.

I would appreciate if you can share your comment with me.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Contact a saw supplier. You will need to use a coolant, usually these are water with a water soluble oil in them.
It may require a carbide tipped blade, and great care.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Absolutely not. Cold cut saws are unique and expensive in that they have gearing to slow the blade down. Chop saws tend run directly at motor speed.

I live confused... are You cutting/machining...

Nitinol => nickel- titanium alloy [tube] material [that is bio-compatible]??

… AND also [separate-subject/material]...

UHS alloy steel [like bars, plate, etc]???

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Listen to Tug, cold saws are special, very rigid, precise speeds, and controlled feeds. They are nothing like a chop saw.
Each material (and with tubing each wall thickness) will have its own blade/speed combination.
Cold saws are not fast, they are clean and precise. And expensive even before you start buying blades.
A good auto feed wet abrasive saw is a real option. They come with full hoods and take minimal ventilation.
Don't expect to get good cuts on difficult materials with a cheap solution, it doesn't work that way.

I was wondering if I can pick your brain on the same subject, but different application. I am looking for a solution for final cut process for Nitinol Tubes/wires at the final cutting stage. Currently we are using an wet abrasive method. The range of Tubes/wires are from 0.009" to 0.35".The solution should give a square cut and as minimum Burr as possible. The challenge is that ECG is not working since we have to cut tubes in bundle, which is a shrink tube. Any machine equipment/machine or other method to suggest? Currently we are using a Resin Copper Silicone Carbide wheel which performs fairly good.
I would appreciate if you can give me a tip or any suggestion for the equipment.

Well I had to go and research this curious alloy, which previously I knew only by its name.
The answers I found were literally mind bending...

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

There are electrochemical saws also. The use a bronze blade, basically a version of EDM.
Of course wire EDM may also be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back