Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The transmission cable is being subjected with geothermal steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

RASitepu

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2016
ID
Dear all,
I want to ask whether it is okay if the national 150 kV transmission cable is subjected with geothermal steam.
Can you tell me what is the long term effect on the transmission cable?
This happen because the rock muffler of the geothermal well head is located precisely below the transmission cable (idk why).
Attached is the photos.
Thank you

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f53f4adf-72b4-42db-ba89-33e64cbb3aa5&file=IMG_20170420_233717.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See if you could get any sampling of the chemical composition of the steam. Without information is hard to make any assessment of the impact on the power line.

It can be suspected that geothermal steam may generate greater concentration of corrosive impurities and salts deposits. Also a combination of moisture and salt could potentially develop a phase-to-phase flashover.

RASitepu,

I wish to have a deterministic answer for you. Unfortunately insulation coordination is a random stochastic phenomenon that requires a deeper analysis in probabilistic terms. Here is what we could say about this scenario:

• The oh Transmission Line above the condensed steam from the rock muffler will be recombine with the air to form a mix with small amount of contaminants (Chlorine, Sulfate and Silica)and conductive iron particules that facilitate the flashover phase-to-phase and phase-to-ground shield wire.
• The amount of contaminant is relative small compare with the air chemical composition. However, for long term exposure surface deposition are expected.
• It is assumed that the overhead conductor is AL and/or Steel reinforced conductor such as All Aluminium Alloy Conductor (AAAC) and Aluminium Conductor Steel Reinforced (ACSR).
• The temperature of the mixt of steam and air will be higher than other section of the line. However, it is not clear if this contribute significantly to increase the line sag.
• The electric field strength in this area is less than other portion of the transmission line (E0 < 3 km/mm). This makes the line more susceptible to flashover failure in the event of transient overvoltage travelling wave.

Perhaps one way to correlate the dielectric degradation in this portion of the line under the steam muffler is to perform an ultraviolet/ Infrared (UV/IR) inspection to diagnostic if there is any significant reduction in dielectric and thermal degradation with respect of the line none exposed to the condensed steam.

See below a few data that could be used as starting point to guide your engineering decision in this matter.

Good luck

FORE CORONA TEST REFERENCES SEE THE FOLLOWING LINKS:
1)2)
T_Line_Pollution_Contamination_Assessment_dhdcmi.jpg

If you are in a ice-and-snow area, the near-constant accumulation of the free-condensing (freezing buildup) of the extra ice on towers, wires, insulators, and supports will have to be either constantly removed, continuously monitored EVERY TIME the atmosphere approaches freezing

Dear cuky2000 and racookpe1978,
Thanks a lot sir, I am amazed by your explanation. Your answer is so helpful. I will try to analyze further with this reference.
Btw, my country is not a snow country.
Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back