Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Theory on axial buckling of thick-walled pipe/cylinders? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckTU

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2005
NL
Hi fellow Engineer,

this question (two parts) concerns buckling of
"Thick-walled pipe/cylinders" under axial compression.

(First)Could someone tell/explain me what the difference is between small- and large-deflection theory Or where I can find it on the-internet, because the papers/books I've read are a blurry about this topic.

And (second) has anyone got info on the incremental and deformation theory? Same problem of papers/books.

BuckTU

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thick shells are generally classified as "thick" when R/h < 30. Transverse Shear becomes prominant when R/h < 10. A computer program was written by this author and the theory, computer listing and sample problems are listed: "Analysis of Structural Shells with Transverse Shear Deformation", AFFDL-TR-71-116. An eigensolution is also provided for linear buckling. Because the system is tenth order, numerical integration becomes more sensitive and very "stiff." Much more care is needed when using this procedure.

Large deformation is generally considered when radial displacements exceed 2-3 h. What is more important are the rotations. In the equations of equilibrium, the stress resultants couple with the rotations to add nonlinear responses. This subject is covered in my paper: "The Inelastic Analysis of Shells or Revoltion Subjected to Nonaxisymmetric Loads," PVP-Vol 124 ASME Publication "Recent Advances in Structural Dynamics", Edited by Chung and Fisher.

There is a recent paper by Arciniegra, Goncalves and Reddy:
"Buckling and Postbuckling Analysis of Laminated Cylindrical Shells Using the Third-Order Shear Deformation Theory", Int. Journ. of Struct. Stability and Dynamics, Vol 4, No 3 (2004) 293-312. This is available through
Dr. David Bushnell has several references in describing his BOSOR4 and BOSOR5 programs. Do a Google search and you will find these papers. He discusses the differences between deformation theory and flow (incremental) theory using BOSOR5. BOSOR5 has been compiled for use on a Windows-PC. Most of Bushnell's papers have been placed on an accompanying CD.

There are several excellent references on this subject, typically found in textbooks dealing with Advance Mechanics of Materials.

Shigley is one typical reference, but you can find much better treatment of Von Mises-Hencky for triaxial state of stress in Marks. I have an independent textbook on such a subject, but it is at home in my library and I can't quite recall the author.

Quickly reading your posting, this is what you are looking for. The discussion details various aspects of triaxial loading with attention to variations in application to the Von Mises-Hencky model. There are excellent examples. I have used this model extensively in professional practice and have experienced high success with design computations with FEA and strain gauge measurements.

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back