Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal Barrier Coatings over Steel and Aluminum 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimWonGun

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2010
US
I am experimenting with thermal barrier ceramic coatings and observed that a particular composition consistently adheres to a steel substrate but inconsistently adheres to an aluminum substrate (1 of 3 to 1 of 4). While it appears clear that the difference in the thermal expansion rate between the TBC and aluminum is sufficient to lead to spalling compared to the same TBC and steel, why is the result inconsistent with the aluminum substrate? After several test batches, the coating never fails with steel. I am completely baffled. What am I overlooking?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Describe the initial condition, surface preparation and cleaning methods for each.

For example, if you are abrasive blasting the steel but only solvent-wiping the aluminum - you are providing a mechanical "tooth" or texture on the steel which vastly improves adhesion when compared to a smooth surface.

Preparation was the same for both the steel and aluminum pieces. They were heated to burn off any oils, grit blasted, and cleaned with acetone.

I have seen reference to aluminum oxide as the preferred grit for blasting aluminum. I mostly see steel blasting, so I don't have a good reference handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back