Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thermal conductivity of potting epoxy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

megahurts

Electrical
Sep 18, 2003
US
Has anyone had experience with the thermal conductivity of potting epoxies?
I have always been under the impression that when you pot a PCB assembly, you are trapping any heat generated on the board. I have recently been told that it is just the opposite when using the correct epoxy. In addition, you can add silica sand to achieve an even greater thermal conductivity. This goes against what I have been previously told, and I am looking for some additional professional opinions.

Thanks,
Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can’t you just get a data sheet on the specific material you are using? Hassle the manufacturer if they don’t have it on their web site.

Hi megahurts,

Companies like Tra-Con ( ) and MasterBond ( ) have specialty epoxies for the specific purpose of being good thermal conductors. These epoxies are the encapsulation method of choice for PCB’s, solenoid coils, and any other application where the designer needs environmental isolation with non-electrical conductivity, and good thermal conductivity. Talk to their applications/sales people about your application. I’m sure they have a product and samples that can help you.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back