Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal Exp coeff for N08904

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAS

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2014
IN
Dear All,
Iam re-designing an existing NEN type H.Exchanger (PVElite 2016) which was commissioned in 1970's.
1) Since this is NEN type, the entire Equipment has to be replaced, the change in Material being only the replacement of the Tubes from SS316L to Inconel 625 for which there was no issue from the design point.
2) Shell and Channel materials used were SS904L with UNS N08904 as per the existing datasheet. The client wants the exact materials to be used for the new equipment.
3) Bellows are used in existing H.Exch.
4) Since it is 24" dia & Pipe material (with UNS N08904), I used SB 677 for Shell/Channel.
5) When I run the report, even though the above mentioned materials (UNS N08904) are used in the Input & displayed, Elasticity/Expansion Material Properties display different UNS numbers (Nickel Alloy NO8020& N08810) for Shell/Channel/Bellows.
6) As per my understanding, in ASME Sec II, Part D & in PVElite material database, Thermal expansion rate is not available for N08904 materials. (In PVElite material database, "ElastAlp07", N08904 cannot be found). When enquired with the software support team, they asked to change the Material database manually for which I got some input from a manufacturer which is not sufficient.

Now,
1) Eventhough different materials are displayed in report, I suggested my client that SS904L (N08904) materials are readily available in the market and Equipment manufacturer can use the same during fabrication. (because the existing material is N08904 and still running fine). But Client wants it to be shown in PVElite design report which we cannot produce.

KINDLY SUGGEST ME, HOW CAN I CONVINCE MY CLIENT OR ANY EQUIVALENT MATERIAL EXACTLY SAME AS THAT OF N08904 CAN BE USED in PVElite?

WAITING FOR YOUR VALUABLE INPUTS/SUGGESTIONS.

Thanks & Regards,
Jay

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you look up the physical properties you will find that alloy 20 (N08020) and 904L (N08904) have nearly identical CTE (as well as other properties).
Show the data and explain why another alloy was used in calculation (limitations of data base).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back