Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal non-linear behavior – Nastran SOL106

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmlodoso

Nov 20, 2016
FR
I am trying to run a non-linear static analysis of a Titanium structure which is joined to an Inconel part. The main load contribution is the temperature increment from 20ºC to more than 600ºC.

I am using Nastran SOL 106 to take into account the non-linear behaviour of the materials with the temperature (MATT1) and I have also simulated contacts through CGAP elements, although their influence in the results is very small. Large displacements are turned off (LGDISP=-1).

The model converges and the FINAL results, with the 100% of the load, make sense. The problem is that in the intermediate steps the results have no sense, for example with the 5% of the load applied the stresses are much higher than with the total load applied. In fact, the stresses grow until the 45-60% and then they decrease…

When I leave only the thermal load, only temperature increment applied, the results are still more surprising for me: the maximum stress (absurdly high) appears in the first step and then they decrease linearly to a reasonable value with the 100% of the load.

Could anyone explain me this estrange behaviour? Am I doing something wrong? I would like to evaluate the results in the intermediate steps, now I have to create intermediate SUBCASEs to evaluate them in intermediate points.

See main parameters of the analysis below:

SOL 106
TIME 10000
CEND
$
DISPLACEMENT(SORT1,PLOT,REAL) = ALL
SPCFORCES(SORT1,PLOT,PRINT,REAL) = ALL
STRESS(SORT1,PLOT,REAL,VONMISES,CENTER) = ALL
FORCE(SORT1) = ALL
OLOAD(SORT1,PLOT,PRINT,REAL) = ALL
GPFORCE(PLOT) = ALL
$