Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal Overload - Life expectancy? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dharmax

Agricultural
Mar 11, 2009
Can thermal overload protection in single phase motors deteriorate over time? (motor is on a pump - 3 years old)
Motor runs for 30 minutes & stops for ten seconds, runs for intervals of ten minutes & repeats.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

an "overload" switch inside the motor can probably go bad by getting progressively "weaker", but the motor or pump or fluid system may also have some sort of problem that is causing the motor to overheat, or the temperature the motor is operating in may be too high.

You need to do some kind of basic investigation of amperage, voltage and temperature before you blame the overload for protecting your motor.

The bi-metal sensor in a "Klixon" switch has a finite lifespan with regards to reliability, and the failure mode tends to be nuisance tripping. But there is no way to know what that lifespan is. I have seen ones rated for 100,000 operations, others rated for 100 operations, so it comes down to how cheap the motor mfr was.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back